The Speed Awareness SchemeJun 28 2022
What is the Speed Awareness Scheme?
Devon & Cornwall Constabulary has introduced a Speed Awareness Scheme to educate drivers and riders about the dangers of driving at both excessive and inappropriate speeds.
The Scheme aims to support a number of projects in Devon and Cornwall already focused on reducing the number of people killed and seriously injured on our roads.
What does the course cover?
- Your responsibility as a driver or rider
- Your responsibility to other road users
- Your perception of speed and other hazards
- Understanding speed limits
- Consequences of both excessive and inappropriate speed
The course is designed to:
- Highlight a driver’s responsibility for the speed of their vehicle, and the safety of other road users
- Address what causes people to speed and understand the consequences
- Provide information in order to educate drivers about road safety issues
- Increase driver awareness of the potential hazards on the road
- Increase knowledge and understanding of how to deal with potentially dangerous situations
On successful completion of the course, participants will have an increased awareness of road safety issues. Similar road safety schemes have proven to be effective in other parts of the country and participants are able to apply these skills in their everyday driving.
Who can attend a Speed Awareness course?
From October 2005, drivers who are detected speeding in Devon and Cornwall, whose offences fall within the criteria, will be offered the option of attending a Speed Awareness course as an alternative to the Fixed Penalty process (three penalty points and a £100 fine).
Named drivers are only permitted to attend one Speed Awareness course within a three-year period. If a named driver subsequently commits a further speeding offence, then that offence will be dealt with via the Fixed Penalty or Court process.
Drivers attending the course will not be required to pay the fine or receive penalty points provided the course is successfully completed. However, those offered the Speed Awareness course will be required to pay a course fee of £85.
If an individual fails to attend the course or is unable to satisfy the course conditions, the offence will be referred to the Devon & Cornwall Safety Camera Unit for processing.